Skip to content

Collins, King Announce DHS to Issue Additional H-2B Visas That Will Support Maine’s Tourism Industry

The additional H-2B visas will become available to employers tomorrow.

Washington, D.C.—U.S. Senators Susan Collins (R-ME) and Angus King (I-ME) announced today that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of Labor (DOL) issued a joint rule making available an additional 20,000 H-2B visas for the first half of fiscal year 2022 that will help small businesses fill seasonal job openings.  DHS announced that the additional H-2B visas will become available to employers on January 28, 2022.


“This announcement is welcome news for Maine’s hospitality industry and will help protect the jobs of Mainers who fill year-round positions,” said Senators Collins and King in a joint statement.  “These additional visas are particularly critical as Maine’s restaurants, hotels, inns, and other businesses are facing persistent workforce shortages, which can force employers to cut back parts of their operations and curtail hours.  We are continuing to urge DHS to make additional visas available for the second half of the year as quickly as possible to ensure that Maine businesses are prepared for the busy summer season.  The Administration should also expedite the visa application and review process so that businesses can get the help they need when they need it.”


H-2B workers support American jobs and small businesses.  Bipartisan research has found a direct correlation between increased numbers of H-2B workers and a rise in pay across the board for all employees.  As required by law, employers must first make a concerted effort to hire American workers to fill open positions.  H-2B visas fill needs for American small businesses when there are not enough able and willing American workers to fill the temporary, seasonal positions.


Eligible employers who have already completed a test of the U.S. labor market to verify that there are no U.S. workers who are willing, qualified, and able to perform the seasonal nonagricultural work can file Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, to seek additional H-2B workers.  They must submit an attestation with their petition to demonstrate their business is likely to suffer irreparable harm without a supplemental workforce.




Related Issues